Re: crashes due to setting max_parallel_workers=0 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: crashes due to setting max_parallel_workers=0
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 1:29 AM, Rushabh Lathia
<rushabh.lathia@gmail.com> wrote:

>> But it seems a bit futile to produce the parallel plan in the first place,
>> because with max_parallel_workers=0 we can't possibly get any parallel
>> workers ever. I wonder why compute_parallel_worker() only looks at
>> max_parallel_workers_per_gather, i.e. why shouldn't it do:
>>
>>    parallel_workers = Min(parallel_workers, max_parallel_workers);
>>
>> Perhaps this was discussed and is actually intentional, though.
>>

> Yes, I am not quite sure about this.

It was intentional.  See the last paragraph of

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA%2BTgmoaMSn6a1780VutfsarCu0LCr%3DCO2yi4vLUo-JQbn4YuRA@mail.gmail.com

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company