Re: Log message for GSS connection is missing once connection authorization is successful. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Euler Taveira
Subject Re: Log message for GSS connection is missing once connection authorization is successful.
Date
In response to Re: Log message for GSS connection is missing once connection authorization is successful.  (Bharath Rupireddy <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com>)
Responses Re: Log message for GSS connection is missing once connection authorization is successful.  (Bharath Rupireddy <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 at 22:52, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 12:49 PM vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com> wrote:

1. Do we need to generate and add the translation of the new GSS
message in all the language specific files under po/ directory?. See
below for the translated SSL log message added in all the language
specific .po files. [1] may help.
I'm not quite sure whether translation should be part of the patch or
is it done separately? Say someone doing tralsations for a bunch of
log messages together in a single commit?

No. Don't worry with translations during the development. Make sure to follow
the instructions provided here [1]. Translations are coordinated in a different
mailing list: pgsql-translators [2]. There is a different repository [3] for
handling PO files and the updated files are merged by Peter Eisentraut just
before each minor/major release. We usually start to update translations after
feature freeze.

2. I have one concern about the test case, where we look for an
expected message[2](in English language), but what happens if the
logging collector collects the log messages in a different language,
say[3]? Will the test case fail? I saw that in 004_logrotate.pl we
look for "division by zero" in the logs, will the same concern apply
to this as well?

pg_regress changes the lc_messages to C. There won't be test failures due to
different LANG.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/nls-programmer.html
[3] https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgtranslation/messages.git;a=summary

--