Re: ECPG bug fix: DECALRE STATEMENT and DEALLOCATE, DESCRIBE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: ECPG bug fix: DECALRE STATEMENT and DEALLOCATE, DESCRIBE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 1:46 PM Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> No, you're right, although I think it's implied. Maybe we need a
> statement along these lines:

I agree with that, but to me it's more in the scope of what is
expected of committers in general. At a very high level. So it's not
something that I'd expect to see on the RMT Postgres Wiki page. I
would expect to see it on the committers Wiki page, somewhere like
that.

> If they are fine by you then I accept that. After all, the reason we
> want you to deal with this is not only that you made the original commit
> but because you're the expert in this area.

+1.

Nobody questioned the original commit, so it would be premature (if
not totally arbitrary) to change our approach now, at the first sign
of trouble. To the best of my knowledge there is no special risk with
applying this patch to address the behavioral inconsistencies, nor is
there any known special risk with any other fix. Including even
deciding to *not* fix the inconsistency in Postgres 14 based on
practical considerations -- for all I know Michael might be perfectly
justified in interpreting the patch as new feature work that's out of
scope now.

I don't feel qualified to even offer an opinion.

--
Peter Geoghegan