Re: pgsql: Avoid improbable PANIC during heap_update. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: pgsql: Avoid improbable PANIC during heap_update.
Date
List pgsql-committers
On Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 10:13 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> How so?  AFAICS these are exactly the same oversight, ie failure
> to deal with the all-visible bit getting set partway through the
> operation.  You've explained how that can happen.

I thought that there might have been something protective about how
the loop would work in heap_update(), but perhaps that's not true. It
might just be that heap_update() does lots of stuff in between, so
it's less likely to be affected by this particular race (the race
which seems to be present in all versions).

--
Peter Geoghegan