Re: [BUGS] Crash report for some ICU-52 (debian8) COLLATE andwork_mem values - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: [BUGS] Crash report for some ICU-52 (debian8) COLLATE andwork_mem values
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 1:47 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Debian, for one, is evidently not trying very hard in that direction,
> since not only are the bugs still there but the line numbers I saw in
> my backtraces agreed with Daniel's, indicating they've not changed
> much of anything at all in ucol.cpp.

I  wonder if it's worth considering distrusting ucol_strcollUTF8() on
some ICU versions that prove to not be up to snuff. The function has
only been around since ICU-50, released in late 2012. We could have
something like a TRUST_UCOL_STRCOLLUTF8 override for
HAVE_UCOL_STRCOLLUTF8. This might make sense as a compromise between
not supporting somewhat older ICU versions and doing nothing at all.

I'm pretty sure that ucol_strcollUTF8() is unused by all the major
projects that use ICU, such as LibreOffice, Chromium, and Qt. Their
requirements play to the strengths of UTF-16, so they naturally always
used UTF-16.

--
Peter Geoghegan