Re: [HACKERS] [PROPOSAL] Effective storage of duplicates in B-tree index. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: [HACKERS] [PROPOSAL] Effective storage of duplicates in B-tree index.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 3:47 AM Oleg Bartunov <obartunov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
> Is it worth to make a provision to add an ability to control how
> duplicates are sorted ?

Duplicates will continue to be sorted based on TID, in effect. We want
to preserve the ability to perform retail index tuple deletion. I
believe that that will become important in the future.

> If we speak about GIN, why not take into
> account our experiments with RUM (https://github.com/postgrespro/rum)
> ?

FWIW, I think that it's confusing that RUM almost shares its name with
the "RUM conjecture":

http://daslab.seas.harvard.edu/rum-conjecture/

--
Peter Geoghegan