Re: [BUGS] Crash report for some ICU-52 (debian8) COLLATE andwork_mem values - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: [BUGS] Crash report for some ICU-52 (debian8) COLLATE andwork_mem values
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 2:26 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> writes:
>> It would help if CREATE COLLATION left new
>> ICU collations with the same useful "Description" as initdb created
>> collations will have; maybe that should be added.
>
> I do not think it is CREATE COLLATION's job to provide a comment;
> no other CREATE command does so.

It's not a comment. It's a description that comes from ICU. Just like
when collations are added by initdb, so that there is some kind of
parity. The user doesn't get a say in what it is.

It helps the user to verify that they're getting what they thought
they were, which seems very valuable, given how loosely the 'locale'
string they provide may be interpreted.

--
Peter Geoghegan