Re: 12.2: Why do my Redo Logs disappear?? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: 12.2: Why do my Redo Logs disappear??
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 5:17 PM Peter <pmc@citylink.dinoex.sub.org> wrote:
> Loosing a RedoLog is very bad, because there is no redundancy,
> loosing a single one of them makes the timeline disappear and it
> will only reappear after another Base Backup. Very very bad.

>    In this case, it seems,  Postgres will delete the current log
>    without archiving it. :(

I strongly suspect that you were hit by the bug fixed in commit
4e87c483. You should upgrade to Postgres 12.3 ASAP, to get that fix:

"Avoid premature recycling of WAL segments during crash recovery
(Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais)

WAL segments that become ready to be archived during crash recovery
were potentially recycled without being archived."

Sorry that you were affected by this bug -- it really sucks.

--
Peter Geoghegan