Re: [HACKERS] How can I find a specific collation in pg_collationwhen using ICU? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: [HACKERS] How can I find a specific collation in pg_collationwhen using ICU?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 5:38 AM, MauMau <maumau307@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried to find a particular collation name in pg_collation, but I
> cannot understand the naming convention after reading the following
> article.  Specifically, I want to find out whether there is some
> collation equivalent to Japanese_CI_AS in SQL Server, which means
> Japanese, case-insensitive, and accent sensitive.  Could you tell me
> how to do this?  Is there any room to improve the PG manual?

This is not an answer to the question you asked, but it may interest
you to know that ICU uses JIS X 4061 for Japanese, unlike Glibc. This
will give more useful results when sorting Japanese.

The best explanation of the difference that I can understand is here,
under "Why do CJK strings sort incorrectly in Unicode?":

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/faqs-cjk.html

--
Peter Geoghegan