Re: ERROR: invalid page in block 1226710 of relation base/16750/27244 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From bricklen
Subject Re: ERROR: invalid page in block 1226710 of relation base/16750/27244
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 9:15 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
bricklen <bricklen@gmail.com> writes:
> What would have happened to the WAL-shipping-only standby if the WALs were
> all applied? Would it have it balked at applying a WAL containing bad data
> from the master, or would it have applied the WAL and continued on? For the
> latter, would physical corruption on the master even transfer via WAL?

Hard to tell.  I'd have guessed that corruption that made a page
unreadable would not transfer across WAL (streaming or otherwise), because
the master could not have read it in to apply an update to it.  However,
we don't know the exact sequence of events here; there may have more than
one step on the way to disaster.

                        regards, tom lane

I would have liked to have had the opportunity to answer those questions myself but alas, in the heat of the moment some of the data useful for forensics was lost.

Thanks again!