Re: value from max row in group by - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From bricklen
Subject Re: value from max row in group by
Date
List pgsql-sql

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Gary Stainburn <gary.stainburn@ringways.co.uk> wrote:
Hi folks,

I need help please.

I have a table of trip section details which includes a trip ID, start time as
an offset, and a duration for that section.

I need to extract the full trip duration by adding the highest offset to it's
duration. I can't simply use sum() on the duation as that would not include
standing time.

Using the data below I would like to get:

1  | 01:35:00
2  | 01:35:00
3  | 01:06:00
4  | 01:38:00
5  | 01:03:00
6  | 01:06:00

How about using a WINDOW function?

Eg.

select  stts_id, total
from (select stts_id, stts_offset+stts_duration as total, row_number() over (partition by stts_id order by stts_offset desc) as rank from sts) s
where rank = 1
order by stts_id;