Add clarification example to EXEC SQL CONNECT with password - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Alan B
Subject Add clarification example to EXEC SQL CONNECT with password
Date
List pgsql-docs
Hi list,
Hope this is the right place to suggest that change in the docs, otherwise is there a ticket management system for this stuff somewhere?

Paying attention to the documentation at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/ecpg-connect.html and subsequent versions of the page (I am using 8.4), there is the option to specify "user-name" in various ways. However this may be confused as a single parameter to the connect string while it is a combination of 1 or 2 parameters that cannot go into a single string.

To avoid confusion I suggest providing a complete example in "Here are some examples of CONNECT statements:" as follows:

EXEC SQL CONNECT TO mydb@sql.mydomain.com;

EXEC SQL CONNECT TO unix:postgresql://sql.mydomain.com/mydb AS myconnection USER john;

EXEC SQL BEGIN DECLARE SECTION;
const char *target = "mydb@sql.mydomain.com";
const char *user = "john";
const char *passwd = "secret";
EXEC SQL END DECLARE SECTION;...

EXEC SQL CONNECT TO :target USER :user USING :passwd;
or
EXEC SQL CONNECT TO :target USER :user/:passwd;
To make the distinction of parameters and string variables evident.

Alan