Re: Add clarification example to EXEC SQL CONNECT with password - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Add clarification example to EXEC SQL CONNECT with password
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 06:17:15PM +0200, Alan B wrote:
> Hi list,
> Hope this is the right place to suggest that change in the docs, otherwise is
> there a ticket management system for this stuff somewhere?
>
> Paying attention to the documentation at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/
> static/ecpg-connect.html and subsequent versions of the page (I am using 8.4),
> there is the option to specify "user-name" in various ways. However this may be
> confused as a single parameter to the connect string while it is a combination
> of 1 or 2 parameters that cannot go into a single string.
>
> To avoid confusion I suggest providing a complete example in "Here are some
> examples of CONNECT statements:" as follows:
>

> EXEC SQL CONNECT TO mydb@sql.mydomain.com;
>
> EXEC SQL CONNECT TO unix:postgresql://sql.mydomain.com/mydb AS myconnection USER john;
>
> EXEC SQL BEGIN DECLARE SECTION;
> const char *target = "mydb@sql.mydomain.com";
> const char *user = "john";
> const char *passwd = "secret";
> EXEC SQL END DECLARE SECTION;
>
> EXEC SQL CONNECT TO :target USER :user USING :passwd;
> or
> EXEC SQL CONNECT TO :target USER :user/:passwd;
>
> To make the distinction of parameters and string variables evident.

I had a look at this just now, and you are right that it is very
confusing.  I couldn't even figure out how to explain it in text, and
agree that your example is the best solution.

Attached patch applied to git head and 9.2.  Thanks.

Attachment