Re: Amazon High I/O instances - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sébastien Lorion
Subject Re: Amazon High I/O instances
Date
List pgsql-general
I think both kind of tests (general and app specific) are complementary and useful in their own way. At a minimum, if the general ones fail, why go to the expenses of doing the specific ones ? Setting up a meaningful application test can take a lot of time and it can be hard to pinpoint exactly where in the stack the performance drops occur. The way I see it, synthetic benchmarks allow to isolate somewhat the layers and serve as a base to validate application tests done later on. It surprises me that asking for the general perf behavior of a platform is controversial.

Sébastien