Re: Merge a sharded master into a single read-only slave - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sébastien Lorion
Subject Re: Merge a sharded master into a single read-only slave
Date
Re: Merge a sharded master into a single read-only slave
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 12:52 PM, Kevin Goess <kgoess@bepress.com> wrote:
> So my conclusion is that for now, the best way to scale read-only queries for a sharded master is to
> implement map-reduce at the application level.

That's the conclusion I would expect. It's the price you pay for sharding, it's part of the deal.

But it's also the benefit you get from sharding.  Once your read traffic grows to the point that it's too much for a single host, you're going to have to re-shard it all again *anyway*.  The whole point of sharding is that it allows you to grow outside the capacities of a single host.

​I am not sure I am following you completely. I can replicate the read-only slaves almost as much as I want (with chained replication), so why would I be limited to a single host ? You would have a point concerning database size, but in my case, the main reason I need to shard is because of the amount of writes.