Re: Hot Standby Feedback should default to on in 9.3+ - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Claudio Freire
Subject Re: Hot Standby Feedback should default to on in 9.3+
Date
Re: Hot Standby Feedback should default to on in 9.3+  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 5:46 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:

> Think of someone setting up a test server, by setting it up as a standby
> from the master. Now, when someone holds a transaction open in the test
> server, you get bloat in the master. Or if you set up a standby for
> reporting purposes - a very common use case - you would not expect a long
> running ad-hoc query in the standby to bloat the master. That's precisely
> why you set up such a standby in the first place.

Without hot standby feedback, reporting queries are impossible. I've
experienced it. Cancellations make it impossible to finish any
decently complex reporting query.