Re: Two identical systems, radically different performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Claudio Freire
Subject Re: Two identical systems, radically different performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 8:03 PM, Craig James <cjames@emolecules.com> wrote:
>> > But again ... the two systems are identical.  This can't explain it.
>>
>> Is the read-ahead the same in both systems?
>

> Yes, as I said in the original reply (it got cut off from your reply): "Same
> on both servers."

Oh, yes. Google collapsed it. Wierd.

Anyway, sequential I/O isn't the same in both servers, and usually you
don't get full sequential performance unless you bump up the
read-ahead. I'm still betting on that for the difference in sequential
performance.

As for pgbench, I'm not sure, but I think pgbench doesn't really
stress sequential performance. You seem to be getting bad queueing
performance. Did you check NCQ status on the RAID controller? Is it on
on both servers?