Re: disable SSL compression? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Claudio Freire
Subject Re: disable SSL compression?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 11:06 PM, Peter Eisentraut
> On 3/8/18 14:23, Claudio Freire wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 3:40 PM, Peter Eisentraut
>> <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>> It appears that SSL compression is nowadays deprecated as insecure.
>>> Yet, it is still enabled by libpq by default, and there is no way to
>>> disable it in the server.  Should we make some changes here?  Does
>>> anyone know more about this?
>>
>> Even if libpq enables it, it has to be enabled both in the client and
>> the server for it to work.
>>
>> OpenSSL disables the whole feature by default, and enabling it is
>> rather cumbersome. The result is that, at least with OpenSSL, the
>> server and client won't accept compression without extensive fiddling
>> by the user.
>
> But however that may be, libpq appears to enable it by default.  This is
> what I get from psql:
>
> SSL connection (protocol: TLSv1.2, cipher: ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384,
> bits: 256, compression: on)

I don't get that:

SSL connection (protocol: TLSv1.2, cipher:
ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384, bits: 256, compression: off)

Even if I set OPENSSL_DEFAULT_ZLIB=1 on the client, I get the same.
The serverside refuses.