Re: disable SSL compression? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: disable SSL compression?
Date
Re: disable SSL compression?  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 3/8/18 14:23, Claudio Freire wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 3:40 PM, Peter Eisentraut
>> It appears that SSL compression is nowadays deprecated as insecure.
>> Yet, it is still enabled by libpq by default, and there is no way to
>> disable it in the server.  Should we make some changes here?  Does
>> anyone know more about this?
>
> Even if libpq enables it, it has to be enabled both in the client and
> the server for it to work.
>
> OpenSSL disables the whole feature by default, and enabling it is
> rather cumbersome. The result is that, at least with OpenSSL, the
> server and client won't accept compression without extensive fiddling
> by the user.

But however that may be, libpq appears to enable it by default.  This is
what I get from psql:

SSL connection (protocol: TLSv1.2, cipher: ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384,
bits: 256, compression: on)