Re: Mark all GUC variable as PGDLLIMPORT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Mark all GUC variable as PGDLLIMPORT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 27 Aug 2021 at 08:59, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 27, 2021 at 3:42 AM Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> Yeah, but that does move the problem to the other side doesn't it? So
> if you (as a pure test of course) were to remove the variable
> completely from the included header and just declare it manually with
> PGDLLSPEC in your file, it should work?
>
> Ugly as it is, I wonder if there's a chance we could just process all
> the headers at install times and inject the PGDLLIMPORT. We know which
> symvols it is on account of what we're getting in the DEF file.
>
> Not saying that's not a very ugly solution, but it might work?

It's apparently not enough.  I tried with autovacuum_max_workers GUC,
and it still errors out.
If I add a PGDLLIMPORT, there's a link error when trying to access the variable:
error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp_autovacuum_max_workers
referenced in function...

If I use PGDLLEXPORT I simply get:
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol aytovacuum_max_workers

It works, but you can't use PGDLLIMPORT, you have to implement the import yourself without the help of __declspec(dllimport) .

Where you want

    autovacuum_max_workers

you must instead write

    *((int*)__imp_autovacuum_max_workers)

Here's the comment I wrote on the topic in something I was working on:

/*
 * On Windows, a symbol is not accessible outside the executable or shared
 * library (PE object) that it is defined in unless explicitly exported in
 * the DLL interface.
 *
 * It must then be explicitly imported by objects that use it; Windows doesn't
 * do ELF-style fixups.
 *
 * The export part is usually accomplished by a __declspec(dllexport)
 * annotation on the symbol or a .DEF file supplied as linker input. Postgres
 * uses the .DEF approach, auto-exporting all symbols using
 * src\tools\msvc\gendef.pl . Internally this hides "symname" from the DLL
 * interface and instead generates an export symbol "__imp_symname" that is a
 * pointer to the value of "symname".
 *
 * The import part is usually done with the __declspec(dllimport) annotation on
 * the symbol. The PGDLLIMPORT macro expands to __declspec(dllimport) when
 * postgres headers are included during extension compilation. But not all the
 * symbols that pglogical needs are annotated with PGDLLIMPORT. Attempting to
 * access a symbol that is not so-annotated will fail at link time with an
 * error like
 *
 *     error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol criticalSharedRelcachesBuilt
 *
 * Because of gendefs.pl, postgres still exports the symbol even if it isn't
 * annotated PGDLLIMPORT. So we can just do the shorthand that
 * __declspec(dllimport) does for us in the preprocessor instead: replace each
 * symbol with its __imp_symbol indirection and dereference it.
 *
 * There's one wrinkle in this though. MSVC doesn't generate a definition for a
 * global data symbol that is neither initialized nor explicitly marked
 * __declspec(dllexport). gendefs.pl will think such symbols are references to
 * a symbol defined in another object file and will skip them without emitting
 * a DATA entry for them in the DEF file, so no __imp_ stub is generated in the
 * DLL interface. We can't use (*__imp_symbolname) if there's no import stub.
 *
 * If they're GUCs, we can round-trip them through their text values
 * to read them. Nothing should ever be assigning to GUC storage and there's no
 * reason to take the address of GUC storage, so this should work fine, albeit
 * slower. If we find any that aren't GUCs we're in trouble but so far there
 * haven't been any.
 *

This is gruesome and I hadn't planned to mention it, but now someone noticed the .DEF file exports the symbols I guess it does no harm.

So can we just fix PGDLLIMPORT now?