Re: Allow logical replication to copy tables in binary format - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Melih Mutlu
Subject Re: Allow logical replication to copy tables in binary format
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Please see v14 [1].

Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com>, 15 Mar 2023 Çar, 09:22 tarihinde şunu yazdı:
Here are some review comments for v13-0001

======
doc/src/sgml/logical-replication.sgml

1.
That's why in the previous v12 review [1] (comment #3) I suggested
that this page should just say something quite generic like "However,
replication in binary format is more restrictive", and link back to
the other page which has all the gory details.

You're right. Changed it with what you suggested.

2.
My previous v12 review [1] (comment #6) suggested maybe updating this
page. But it was not done in v13. Did you accidentally miss the review
comment, or chose not to do it?

Sorry, I missed this. Added a line leading to CREATE SUBSCRIPTION doc.

======
doc/src/sgml/ref/create_subscription.sgml

3.
BEFORE
Binary format is also very data type specific, it will not allow
copying between different column types as opposed to text format.

SUGGESTION (worded more similar to what is already on the COPY page [2])
Binary format is very data type specific; for example, it will not
allow copying from a smallint column to an integer column, even though
that would work fine in text format.

Done.

4.
SUGGESTION
If the publisher is a <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> version
before 14, then any initial table synchronization will use text format
even if <literal>binary = true</literal>.

Done.

SUGGESTION
If the publisher version is earlier than v14, we use text format COPY.
Note - In fact COPY syntax "WITH (FORMAT binary)" has existed since
v9, but since the logical replication binary mode transfer was not
introduced until v14 it was decided to check using the later version.

Changed it as suggested here [2].

Thanks,
--
Melih Mutlu