Re: Variable substitution in jsonb functions fails for jsonpath operator like_regex - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Erwin Brandstetter
Subject Re: Variable substitution in jsonb functions fails for jsonpath operator like_regex
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Thu, 19 Oct 2023 at 21:01, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2023, 18:47 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Oh, duh, makeItemLikeRegex() is expecting a plain JsonPathString,
>> and JsonPathParseItem.value.like_regex is set up for just a
>> constant pattern.  We could no doubt fix that, but it's a bigger
>> lift than I was hoping.

> Not in a position to do it myself but we should confirm we aren't simply
> following the standard here, and if so decide whether we want to deviate.

Hmm ... looks like we *are* following the standard:

<JSON like_regex predicate> ::=
  <JSON path wff> like_regex <JSON like_regex pattern>
      [ flag <JSON like_regex flags> ]
<JSON like_regex pattern> ::=
  <JSON path string literal>
<JSON like_regex flag> ::=
  <JSON path string literal>

whereas "starts with" has

<JSON starts with predicate> ::=
  <JSON starts with whole> starts with <JSON starts with initial>
<JSON starts with whole> ::=
  <JSON path wff>
<JSON starts with initial> ::=
  <JSON path wff>

The text mentions that "the second operand is permitted to be an SQL/JSON
sequence and to support existential semantics", whereas they evidently
don't want that for a regex pattern.

So input from "vars" cannot be substituted into the jsonpath expression after "like_regex" (as opposed to all other jsonpath operators). Seems pretty random from a user's perspective.

Be that as it may, if that's the consensus, I'll have a closer look at the manual page to try and convey the rules.
Do we have an accord?

Regards
Erwin