Re: Returning from a rule with extended query protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jelte Fennema-Nio
Subject Re: Returning from a rule with extended query protocol
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 11 Aug 2024 at 23:54, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I think this might be the same issue recently discussed here:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/1df84daa-7d0d-e8cc-4762-85523e45e5e7%40mailbox.org

Yeah that's definitely the same issue.

> That discussion was leaning towards the idea that the cost-benefit
> of fixing this isn't attractive and we should just document the
> discrepancy.  However, with two reports now, maybe we should rethink.

I think it's interesting that both reports use rules in the same way,
i.e. to implement soft-deletes. That indeed seems like a pretty good
usecase for them. And since pretty much every serious client library
uses the extended query protocol, this breaks that usecase. But if
it's hard to fix, I'm indeed not sure if it's worth the effort. If we
don't we should definitely document it though, at CREATE RULE and in
the protocol spec.