Re: Returning from a rule with extended query protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Returning from a rule with extended query protocol
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Rychlewski <greg.rychlewski@gmail.com> writes:
> I was testing creating a rule that uses RETURNING and noticed a difference
> between the extended query protocol and the simple query protocol. In the
> former, RETURNING is ignored (at least in my case) and the latter it is
> respected:

I think this might be the same issue recently discussed here:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/1df84daa-7d0d-e8cc-4762-85523e45e5e7%40mailbox.org

That discussion was leaning towards the idea that the cost-benefit
of fixing this isn't attractive and we should just document the
discrepancy.  However, with two reports now, maybe we should rethink.