Re: Debug strategy for musl Postgres? - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From John Mudd
Subject Re: Debug strategy for musl Postgres?
Date
Re: Debug strategy for musl Postgres?  (Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc>)
List pgsql-bugs
On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 12:04 PM, Euler Taveira <euler@timbira.com.br>wrote:

> On 13-04-2014 00:40, John Mudd wrote:
> > I built Postgres 9.3.4 from source on top of the musl C library,
> > http://www.musl-libc.org/
> > I also built zlib, bzip2, ncurses, openssl, readline and Python using
> musl
> > as a foundation for Postgres.
> >
> This is not a bug. This kind of discussion belongs to -hackers.
>
> While reading this email, I give musl a try. I'm using Debian jessie
> which contains musl 1.0.0. I compiled the source (git master) using
> CC="musl-gcc" and disabled zlib and readline. It passed all regression
> tests. I also tried a pgbench which ran like a charm. (After installed
> the binaries I had to set the libray path for musl in
> /etc/ld-musl-x86_64.d.)
>
> > I'm using musl to increase the portability of the Postgres binary. I
> build
> > on Ubuntu 13.10 but will runs on older Linux boxes.
> >
> Could you give details about your architecture?

Built on 3.8.0-35-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 3 01:25:33 UTC 2013 i686
i686 i686 GNU/Linux
Runs fine there.

Moved postgres install directory to  2.4.21-4.EL #1 Fri Oct 3 18:13:58 EDT
2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
Not working fully there.
Note: It's says 2.4 kernel but I've been told that's misleading. The kernel
has upgrades that make it effectively 2.6.

> > For my next step I'll try building musl Postgres with the
> --enable-cassert
> > option. What else can I do to debug this?
> >
> Is postgres running and listening 5432? Did you try another binaries
> (eg. psql) or even postgres in single mode?

I rebuilt with --enable-cassert, reran and no difference on 2.4 machine.

It's listening even on 2.4 machine. I ran strace on main postgres process
and got the following while running pg_isready.

Process 23811 attached - interrupt to quit
Process 23811 detached

But pg_isready just reports "/tmp:5432 - no response" after a few seconds.