Graphical Explain Tooltip - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Ashesh Vashi
Subject Graphical Explain Tooltip
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Hi,

Current behaviour of the ExplainPopup, requires a mouse click on the ExplainShape to show it.
A lot of user will not able to figure out that until they accidentally click on that shape or read the documents carefully.

Also - current implementation does not allow to use the ExplainCanvas in a modal dialog.
For some experiment, I tried to use the ExplainCanvas in a modal dialog and clicked on a shape.

A lot of time on linux, this scenario resulted in a crash or unstable pgadmin application.

The attached patch enables the ExplainPopup to behave like the tooltip for those shapes.
As per my conversation with Dave, I have extended the ExplainPopup using wxTransientPopup or, wxFrame
(where not available wxPopWindow i.e. Mac), just like the wxTipWindow, and also worked on the border around the
ExplainText.

I have tested it on all the platforms (i.e. OSX 10.6, Window 7 & Ubuntu 10.04)

--

Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA: