Re: What's your experience with using Postgres in IoT-contexts? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tony Shelver
Subject Re: What's your experience with using Postgres in IoT-contexts?
Date
List pgsql-general

On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 at 16:34, Thorsten Schöning <tschoening@am-soft.de> wrote:
Guten Tag Tony Shelver,
am Montag, 5. Oktober 2020 um 15:44 schrieben Sie:

> Not sure about PG in that environment. Have you thought about something
> like H2 java database?  https://www.h2database.com/html/main.html

Yes, like SQLite as well. The point is that I was really interested in
keeping as much as possible and we e.g. use some Postgres-specific
constructs currently. Of course things can be changed, but the
question is if it's necessary at all, especially after reading the
PDF:

https://www.postgresql.eu/events/pgconfeu2019/sessions/session/2781/slides/251/PostgreSQL%20for%20IoT.pdf

> That is included as the standarDB in a vehicle tracking system we use,
> although we have re[placed with PG.

And your tracking system is more like the server that I already have
or an embedded system within the vehicles themself?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning       E-Mail: Thorsten.Schoening@AM-SoFT.de
AM-SoFT IT-Systeme      http://www.AM-SoFT.de/

Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55
Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

.

 My tracking system stores, analyzes and reports on multiple events occuring in the vehicle.  This can include speed, change in GPS location (tracking), vehicle data / events such as RPM, engine temperature, change in direction, data from the OBDII system (vehicle diagnostics from engine, transmission, cooling and electrical systems, chassis and so on), data from the tracker's built-in accelerometer, connect / disconnect, ignition on / off and so on

This data is used to trigger operator / admin messages and warnings, report historical vehicle routes on map, follow current vehicle position and route, geofencing, and more.

Each vehicle reports position to the database at least every 30 seconds when moving, along with any other data as it happens.  So it's quite a bit.

H2 seemed to handle it fine for a limited number of vehicles, but we moved it to PG once we moved to production.