Random-looking primary keys in the range 100000..999999 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kynn Jones
Subject Random-looking primary keys in the range 100000..999999
Date
Re: Random-looking primary keys in the range 100000..999999  (Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz>)
Re: Random-looking primary keys in the range 100000..999999  (Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>)
List pgsql-general
I'm looking for a way to implement pseudorandom primary keys in the range 100000..999999.

The randomization scheme does not need to be cryptographically strong.  As long as it is not easy to figure out in a few minutes it's good enough.

My starting point for this is the following earlier message to this list:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/49F96730.4000706@postnewspapers.com.au

The answer given to it here

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/448163db-cac5-4e99-8c4c-57cbc6f6af78@mm

...is really cool, but I don't see how to modify it for the case where the domain of the permutation has a cardinality that is not a power of 2, as it is in my case (cardinality = 900000).

---

(In the crypto world there are "format preserving encryption" techniques that probably could do what I want to do, but their focus on cryptographic strength makes learning and implementing them tough going, plus, the performance will probably be poor, since high workloads are an asset for such crypto applications.  Since cryptographic strength is not something I need, I'm trying to find non-crypt-grade alternatives.)

Thanks in advance!

kynn