Re: Re: BUG #18471: Possible JIT memory leak resulting in signal 11:Segmentation fault on ARM - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Clemens Eisserer
Subject Re: Re: BUG #18471: Possible JIT memory leak resulting in signal 11:Segmentation fault on ARM
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hi Joachim,

> We have a reproducible way to force a postgres process to consume more and
> more RAM until it crashes on ARM.
> The same works on X86 without any issue.
> With jit=off it runs on ARM as well.

I ran into a similar problem a few months ago running postgresql on debian bookworm.
It was discussed here on the list and I've also filed a bug against debian's postgresql package: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1059476

The issue is caused by a bug in the very old version of llvm (14), debian links postgresql against (despite newer versions 15/16 are also included in bookworm).
Despite being based on debian, ubuntu's postgresql links against llvm-15 and there at least my crashes were not reproduceable, despite same postgresql version + postgresql.conf.

It would be great if you could also leave a comment at the debian bug report, as they seem rather reluctant to change anything.

Best regards, Clemens