BUG #18474: wal_writer_delay limited to arbitrary value of 10s - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From PG Bug reporting form
Subject BUG #18474: wal_writer_delay limited to arbitrary value of 10s
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      18474
Logged by:          Clemens Eisserer
Email address:      linuxhippy@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 16.3
Operating system:   Linux

wal_writer_delay has a hard-coded limit of 10000ms, however the limit seems
artificial because depending on the type of workload 10s are either very
long of very short.

As far as I know wal_writer_delay is the only option for scanrios where the
durability of recently commited data is not that important, yet
database-corruption - as it can happen with fsync=off - should be avoided.

E.g. I have postgresql running on a raspberry pi storing sensor data, and
every 250ms an additional row with sensor data is written. Because of
fsync=on I have huge amounts of write-amplification (gigabytes), and it
would be great if it batching e.g. 10min of sensor-data would be possible.