Re: : PostgreSQL Online Backup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Venkat Balaji
Subject Re: : PostgreSQL Online Backup
Date
List pgsql-general
Sorry for not responding to this email for so long.

Alan,

We had mentioned the following line in recovery.conf file (we had given pg_xlog location since we did not have WAL archives) -

restore_command = 'cp <data dir>/pg_xlog/%f %p'

We found where the problem was -

Here is what i did -

1. We had taken a full backup using pg_start_backup() and pg_stop_backup() on Day 1
2. Rest of the days (from Day 2 - Day 15), we had incrementally backed-up ( this is also using pg_start_backup() and pg_stop_backup())
3. On Day-16th, when i started the recovery, PG was asking Day 1's WAL archive file, which we did not have.

A fresh complete backup with change in our backup strategy resolved the issue.

Thanks a lot for all your inputs and help on this !!

Regards,
VB

2011/10/4 Alan Hodgson <ahodgson@simkin.ca>
> > rsync works fine. Why exactly can't the recovery find the backed up copy
> > of 000000010000053900000076? Please post your archive_command settings,
> > the contents of any script(s) called by that, and the recovery.conf file
> > you're using that's having problems, as well as the complete process you
> > followed to
> > initiate recovery. I strongly suspect you're missing part of the process
> > of actually saving the WAL files needed for recovery.

> The recovery is unable to find the WAL archive because, it was generated on
> 26th September.
>
> Whereas the backup is as taken on Oct 2nd, 2011. We deleted all the files.
>
> I do not have that WAL archive copy.
>
> The problem area -
>
> I found that a pg_clog file dated 26th Sep, 2011 is not synced (its not
> 256K).

I'm going to need the rest of what I asked for to offer any further suggestions
- especially the full and exact steps you took to initiate recovery and the
contents of recovery.conf. Also, please don't top-post.