Re: Table partitioning with sequence field in postgresql12 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Srinivasa T N
Subject Re: Table partitioning with sequence field in postgresql12
Date
List pgsql-general
I am using declarative partitioning on some other field of the same table in which gid also exists.

Regards,
Seenu.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 12:31 PM amul sul <sulamul@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 12:22 PM Srinivasa T N <seenutn@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>    I have a parent table with one of the field as ""gid" int4 DEFAULT nextval('"ami_smart_new".aoi_boundary_gid_seq'::regclass)".
>
>    I create child tables which inherit parent and use hash partition.  When I directly insert into child tables, will there be any race condition causing two child tables getting the same sequence value for gid?

if "gid" is the partitioning key and assuming you are using declarative
partitioning[1], then it won't be possible to have the same "gid" value in two
child partitions.

1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/ddl-partitioning.html

regards,
Amul