Re: Conflict with recovery on PG version 11.6 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Toomas Kristin
Subject Re: Conflict with recovery on PG version 11.6
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi!

What is difference between following error messages?

ERROR:  canceling statement due to conflict with recovery
FATAL:  terminating connection due to conflict with recovery

I tried to correlate process termination on standby and vacuuming on master.

Here is a sample timeline
1) 2020-06-17 22:45:42 - Last vacuuming before session
2) 2020-06-18 01:01:12 - Session was started at standby
3) 2020-06-18 01:27:53 - Session was terminated at standby
4) 2020-06-18 02:59:32 - Next vacuuming

Based on that I would say there is no correlation between vacuuming and process termination.

How can I identify where is the conflict that stops replication and forces to terminate a query on standby host?

BR,
Toomas

> On 17. Jun 2020, at 16:38, Toomas Kristin <toomas.kristin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Laurenz,
>
> Thank you!
>
> What are reasons for conflicts? Based on documentation seems that the only reason can be that vacuum removed unused
tuplesthat are in use at standby host and due to that standby host cannot apply modifications while blocking query
eitherfinishes or will be terminated. isnt it? Or there can be some other reasons?

> I just wondering what would be impact when I increase value for autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor in order force
vacuumingprocess postpone the clean up process.