Re: Git revision in tarballs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josef Šimánek
Subject Re: Git revision in tarballs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
čt 15. 7. 2021 v 10:33 odesílatel Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> napsal:

> I think it'd be useful to be able to identify exactly which git commit
> was used to produce a tarball. This would be especially useful when
> downloading snapshot tarballs where that's not entirely clear, but can
> also be used to verify that the release tarballs matches what's
> expected (in the extremely rare case that a tarball is rewrapped for
> example).
>
> What do people think of the attached?

The only problem I do see is adding "git" as a new dependency. That
can potentially cause troubles.

For the file name, I have seen GIT_VERSION or REVISION file names used
before in another projects. Using ".gitrevision" doesn't make sense to
me since it will be hidden on Unix by default and I'm not sure that is
intended.