Re: Git revision in tarballs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Git revision in tarballs
Date
Re: Git revision in tarballs  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 1:40 PM Josef Šimánek <josef.simanek@gmail.com> wrote:

> čt 15. 7. 2021 v 10:33 odesílatel Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> napsal:
> >
> > I think it'd be useful to be able to identify exactly which git commit
> > was used to produce a tarball. This would be especially useful when
> > downloading snapshot tarballs where that's not entirely clear, but can
> > also be used to verify that the release tarballs matches what's
> > expected (in the extremely rare case that a tarball is rewrapped for
> > example).
> >
> > What do people think of the attached?
>
> The only problem I do see is adding "git" as a new dependency. That
> can potentially cause troubles.

But only for *creating* the tarballs,  and not for using them. I'm not
sure what the usecase would be to create a tarball from an environment
that doesn't have git?

> For the file name, I have seen GIT_VERSION or REVISION file names used
> before in another projects. Using ".gitrevision" doesn't make sense to
> me since it will be hidden on Unix by default and I'm not sure that is
> intended.

It was definitely intended, as I'd assume it's normally a file that
most people don't care about, but more something that scripts that
verify things would. But I'm more than happy to change it to a
different name if that's preferred. I looked around a bit and couldn't
find any general consensus for a name for such a file, but I may not
have looked carefully enough.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/