Re: REINDEX VERBOSE iso-8859-1 option - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Josef Šimánek
Subject Re: REINDEX VERBOSE iso-8859-1 option
Date
List pgsql-general
po 18. 11. 2019 v 7:42 odesílatel Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> napsal:
On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 04:41:59AM +0100, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Documentation patch is good idea.

The documentation is rather clear about the need to of parenthesis
when using the VERBOSE option, and that it is not a mandatory option:
REINDEX [ ( VERBOSE ) ] { INDEX | TABLE | SCHEMA | DATABASE | SYSTEM } name

This is clear once you understand what does it mean. I was aware of VERBOSE option of EXPLAIN and tried to use it without needed parentheses (the same way EXPLAIN can understand it). In the parameter list of REINDEX, it is still called VERBOSE (not "( VERBOSE )") and there's no info that parentheses are needed. It looks the same parameter as the other ones and I have tried to use it the same way. That's the origin of my confusion.
I was looking at examples first to see if there's any using VERBOSE to take a look what is wrong on my side, but there is none. Including example with VERBOSE will make it easier at least for me.

Current example "Rebuild all the indexes on the table my_table:" can be modified to "Rebuild all the indexes and print progress report on the table my_table:".

PS: AFAIK VERBOSE is option for EXPLAIN, but parameter for REINDEX. Is that the reason for different syntax?

--
Michael