Re: Selecting large tables gets killed - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ashutosh Bapat
Subject Re: Selecting large tables gets killed
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 3:26 PM, Bernd Helmle <mailings@oopsware.de> wrote:

--On 20. Februar 2014 14:49:28 +0530 Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh.bapat@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

If I set some positive value for this variable, psql runs smoothly with
any size of data. But unset that variable, and it gets killed. But it's
nowhere written explicitly that psql can run out of memory while
collecting the result set. Either the documentation or the behaviour
should be modified.

Maybe somewhere in the future we should consider single row mode for psql, see

<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/libpq-single-row-mode.html>

That seems a good idea. We will get rid of FETCH_COUNT then, wouldn't we?

However, i think nobody has tackled this yet, afair.

--
Thanks

        Bernd

--