Re: Assigning NULL to a record variable - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Assigning NULL to a record variable
Date
List pgsql-hackers
2012/9/20 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:
> "Kevin Grittner" <kgrittn@mail.com> writes:
>> ... This did not work for cases where the AFTER DELETE trigger performed
>> an action which was not idempotent because, while return_value was
>> NULL enough to enter that last IF clause, it was not NULL enough to
>> prevent the DELETE attempt and fire subsequent triggers.  The
>> assignment of NULL to a variable with a record type doesn't assign a
>> "simple" NULL, but a record with NULL in each element.
>
> I believe that this is forced by plpgsql's implementation.  IIRC, a
> declared variable of a named composite type (not RECORD) is implemented
> as a "row" structure, meaning it actually consists of a separate plpgsql
> variable for each column.  So there's no physical way for it to represent
> a "simple NULL" composite value.
>
> I've suggested in the past that we might want to go over to treating
> such variables more like RECORD, ie the representation is always a
> HeapTuple.

I had same idea when I worked on SQL/PSM - but there is significant
difference in performance (probably less in real tasks)

I'm not sure what the performance tradeoffs would be ---
> some things would get faster and others slower, probably, since field
> access would be more work but conversion to/from HeapTuple would get far
> cheaper.

when fields are fix length, then field's update is significantly
faster then when RECORD is used