Re: Assigning NULL to a record variable - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Assigning NULL to a record variable
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> 2012/9/20 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:
>> I'm not sure what the performance tradeoffs would be ---
>> some things would get faster and others slower, probably, since field
>> access would be more work but conversion to/from HeapTuple would get far
>> cheaper.

> when fields are fix length, then field's update is significantly
> faster then when RECORD is used

[ shrug... ]  Maybe not if we put a little effort into it.  It would be
interesting to consider using a TupleTableSlot instead of a bare
HeapTuple for instance.  In any case you're ignoring the point that
other things will get faster.