Re: pspg pager is finished - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: pspg pager is finished
Date
List pgsql-hackers

so 20. 3. 2021 v 7:51 odesílatel Vik Fearing <vik@postgresfriends.org> napsal:
On 3/20/21 4:34 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Hi
>
> I finished work on pspg.
>
> https://github.com/okbob/pspg
>
> Now it has special features like rows or block selection by mouse, and
> export related data to file or to clipboard in csv or tsv or insert
> formats. Some basic features like sorting data per selected columns are
> possible too.
>
> I hope this tool will serve well, and so work with Postgres (or other
> supported databases) in the terminal will be more comfortable and more
> efficient.

If this means active development on it is finished, I would like to see
this integrated into the tree, perhaps even directly into psql itself
(unless the user chooses a different pager).  It is that useful.

yes, - almost all my ideas are implemented - and I have no plans to write pspg as a light spreadsheet. It is just a pager.

Unfortunately, the source code of pspg has not required postgres quality. I wrote it mostly alone without reviews and without initial experience with this kind of application. Some implemented interactive features are very complex (for terminal applications), and not too simply understandable. The code is not too bad, if I compare it with source code of "more" or "less", but again, there was not any check of other eyes. There are not any regress tests, so I don't think so integration too core can be a good idea. Review of about 35000 lines can be terrible work, but this project needs it  to move forward . On second hand, it uses a lot of Postgres C patterns. And any new development can be more concentrated on quality and less to research.

Although pspg has not Postgres quality, it is a good tool that is used by a lot of people. Can be nice to be propagated inside Postgres documentation, or some Postgres demos.

pspg is now in my private repository (and although it uses BSD licence), I will be proud if it can be moved to some community repository, and if the community takes more control and all rights to this project.

Now, I would work more on other projects than pspg - and then pspg will be in maintenance mode. I'll fix all reported errors.

Thank you, Pavel, for this work.

Thank you :)

Pavel

--