Re: dropdb --force - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: dropdb --force
Date
Re: dropdb --force  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

po 18. 11. 2019 v 6:24 odesílatel Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> napsal:
On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 10:33 AM Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

> po 18. 11. 2019 v 4:43 odesílatel vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com> napsal:
>>

>> When we don't specify -e option, the query used to drop db will not be
>> printed like below:
>> ./dropdb testdb1
>> When we specify -e option, the query used to drop db will be printed like below:
>> ./dropdb -e testdb2
>> SELECT pg_catalog.set_config('search_path', '', false);
>> DROP DATABASE testdb2;
>> If we specify -e option, the query that is being used to drop db will
>> be printed. In the existing test I could not see the inclusion of -e
>> option. I was thinking to add a test including -e that way the query
>> that includes force option gets validated.
>

> still I don't understand. The created query is tested already by current test.
>
> Do you want to test just -e option?

Yeah, it seems Vignesh wants to do that.  It will help in verifying
that the command generated by code is correct.  However, I think there
is no pressing need to have an additional test for this.

> Then it should be done as separate issue.

Yeah, I agree.  I think this can be done as a separate test patch to
improve coverage if someone wants.

>> > I afraid so test API doesn't allow asynchronous operations. Do you have any idea, how to it?
>> >

>> I had seen that isolation test(src/test/isolation) has a framework to
>> support this. You can have a look to see if it can be handled using
>> that.
>

> I'll look there

If we want to have a test for this, then you might want to look at
test src/test/recovery/t/013_crash_restart.  In that test, we keep a
connection open and then validate whether it is terminated.  Having
said that, I think it might be better to add this as a separate test
patch apart from main patch because it is a bit of a timing-dependent
test and might fail on some slow machines.  We can always revert this
if it turns out to be an unstable test.

+1

I have slightly modified the main patch and attached is the result.
Basically, I don't see any need to repeat what is mentioned in the
Drop Database page.  Let me know what you guys think?

+ 1 from me - all has sense

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.