Re: Improving avg performance for numeric - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Improving avg performance for numeric
Date
List pgsql-hackers
2013/3/19 Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com>:
> Hadi Moshayedi <hadi@moshayedi.net> wrote:
>
>> I updated the patch by taking ideas from your patch, and unifying
>> the transition struct and update function for different
>> aggregates. The speed of avg improved even more. It now has 60%
>> better performance than the current committed version.
>
> Outstanding!

I did some tests ala  OLAP queries and I am thinking so ~ 40% speedup
for queries with AVG is realistic. Depends on other conditions.

But there are lot of situation when data are in shared buffers or file
system memory and then this patch can carry significant speedup - and
probably can be better if some better algorithm for sum two numeric
numbers in aggregate.

Regards

Pavel