Re: [HACKERS] proposal psql \gdesc - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: [HACKERS] proposal psql \gdesc
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi

Hello Pavel,

I am sending a variant with message instead empty result.

Thanks. Patch looks good, applies, make check ok, code is neat.

Personally I prefer empty result instead message.

Hmm. I think that this version is less likely to raise questions from users, especially compared to having a somehow correct but strangely looking description.

It is hard to choose some good text of this message. Empty result is just empty result for all cases.

we will see

I'd suggest a very minor change: "No columns or command has no result" (not -> no). If some English native speaker has a better suggestion, fine with me.

changed

Another good point of this version is that the type name query is simplified because it does not need to handle an empty result, thus the code is easier to understand.

A few other suggestions:

 - could you update the comment on the type name query?
   Maybe the comment can be simply removed?

removed

 - I'm wondering whether the Name & Type columns names should be
   translatable. What do you think?

good idea - done

 - Maybe tests could also exercise unnamed columns, eg:
    SELECT 1, 2, 3 \gdesc \g

done

Regards

Pavel