Re: proposal: PL/Pythonu - function ereport - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: proposal: PL/Pythonu - function ereport
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi

On 10/8/15 6:11 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> We cannot to raise PostgreSQL exception with setting all possible
> fields.

Such as?  If there are fields missing, let's add them.

> I propose new function
>
> plpy.ereport(level, [ message [, detail [, hint [, sqlstate, ... ]]]])

That's not how Python works.  If you want to cause an error, you should
raise an exception.

I wrote a example, how to do it

 postgres=# do $$
x = plpy.SPIError('Nazdarek');
x.spidata = (100, "Some detail", "some hint", None, None);
raise x;
$$ language plpythonu;

ERROR:  T1000: plpy.SPIError: Nazdarek
DETAIL:  Some detail
HINT:  some hint
CONTEXT:  Traceback (most recent call last):
  PL/Python anonymous code block, line 4, in <module>
    raise x;
PL/Python anonymous code block
LOCATION:  PLy_elog, plpy_elog.c:106
Time: 1.170 ms

Is it some better way?

I see a few disadvantages

1. sqlcode is entered via integer
2. it doesn't allow keyword parameters - so we can second constructor of SPIError

some like

postgres=# do $$
def SPIError(message, detail = None, hint = None):
        x = plpy.SPIError(message)
        x.spidata = (0, detail, hint, None, None)
        return x

raise SPIError('Nazdar Svete', hint = 'Hello world');
$$ language plpythonu;

The main problem is a name for this function.

Regards

Pavel