Re: proposal: PL/Pythonu - function ereport - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: proposal: PL/Pythonu - function ereport
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 1/11/16 12:46 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
<mailto:Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com>>:

    On 1/11/16 12:33 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

        1. break compatibility and SPIError replace by Error

    At this point I've lost track... what's the incompatibility between
    the two?

the name and internal format (but this structure can be visible to user
space)

Were Error and Fatal ever documented as classes? All I see is "raise plpy.Error(msg) and raise plpy.Fatal(msg) are equivalent to calling plpy.error and plpy.fatal, respectively." which doesn't lead me to believe I should be trapping on those.

Error and Fatal exception classes are introduced in my patch - it was Peter' request (if I remember it well), and now I am thinking so it is not good idea.

It's not clear to me why you'd want to handle error and fatal differently anyway; an error is an error. Unless fatal isn't supposed to be trappable? [1] leads me to believe that you shouldn't be able to trap a FATAL because it's supposed to cause the entire session to abort.

Since spiexceptions and SPIError are the only documented exceptions classes, I'd say we should stick with those and get rid of the others. Worst-case, we can have a compatability GUC, but I think plpy.Error and plpy.Fatal were just poorly thought out.

I have same opinion now. I remove it from my patch.

Pavel

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/runtime-config-logging.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-SEVERITY-LEVELS