Re: SQL access to database attributes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: SQL access to database attributes
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 06/23/2014 06:21 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I found only one problem - first patch introduce a new property
>> CONNECTION_LIMIT and replace previously used "CONNECTION LIMIT" in
>> documentation. But "CONNECTION LIMIT" is still supported, but it is not
>> documented. So for some readers it can look like breaking compatibility, but
>> it is false. This should be documented better.
>
> Yeah, I think the old syntax should be documented also.

Why do we want to document syntax that should eventually be deprecated?

It is fair to our users. It can be deprecated, ok, we can write in doc - this feature will be deprecated in next three years. Don't use it, but this should be documentated.

Pavel

> See, e.g., what we do for COPY.

Exactly.  We're still carrying around baggage from 7.2!

Backward compatibility: yes.
Backward documentation: no.
--
Vik