Re: Schema variables - new implementation for Postgres 15 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Schema variables - new implementation for Postgres 15
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Hi

- For sessionvariable.c (in 0002), I see that there are still all the comments
  and code about checking type validity based on a generation number and other
  heuristics.  I still fail to understand why this is needed at all as the
  stored datum should remain compatible as long as we prevent the few
  incompatible DDL that are also prevented when there's a relation dependency.
  As an example, I try to quickly disable all that code with the following:

I am sending an alternative implementation based on using own int8 sequence as protection against unwanted oid equation of different session's variables.

This code is much shorter, and, I think better, but now, the creating sequence in bootstrap time is dirty. Maybe instead the sequence can be used 64bite timestamp or some else - it needs a unique combination of oid, 8byte.

Regards

Pavel

Attachment