Re: Let's start talking features and "theme" for 9.4 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Let's start talking features and "theme" for 9.4
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hello

* support TB in work_mem
* faster numeric sum and avg
* faster window function - moving average, percentiles

Pavel

On 22 April 2014 18:29, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> So, we're closing in on a 9.4 beta.  As such, I'd like to settle what we
> think are the "big features" for 9.4 which we're going to promote to the
> press, as well as seeing if we can come up with a "theme" which makes us
> more likely to get useful coverage.
>
> First let's start with a list.
>
> "Big features", that is the ones we want to lead with in press stuff:
>
> * JSONB et. al.
> * Logical Decoding/Changeset Extraction (need a marketing name for this
> feature, I like Logical Streaming Replication, but that's not complete yet)
> * Materialized Views
> * ALTER SYSTEM SET
> ... others?
>
> There's also a whole bunch of less prominent but interesting patches,
> including:
>
> * updatable security barrier views
> * new array manipulation and table functions
> * time-delayed standbys
> * dynamic background workers
> * MVCC system catalogs
> * Decrease lock level for some ALTER TABLE stuff
> ... others?

They all sound good, apart from the MVCC system catalog changes. I'm
also not comfortable saying Mat Views again, especially since we said
it last time and they still don't work automatically in the optimizer,
nor do they get auto updated.

I think you should add

* Write Scalability improvements - WAL Insert tuning
* Aggregate performance improvements - tuning & negative transition functions
* Huge pages
* Update WAL reduction

--
 Simon Riggs                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/