Re: Why format() adds double quote? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Why format() adds double quote?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

>> What do you exactly propose regarding white chars and multibyte chars
>> here? Maybe you propose to consider non ASCII white spaces (treate
>> them as ASCII white spaces)?
>>

> I propose the work with UTF white chars should be same like ASCII white
> chars. The current design is too simple - with possible pretty bad issues.
> Daniel's example is good - there is big gap in design.

I think we should consider followings before going forward:

1) Does PostgreSQL treat non ASCII white spaces same as ASCII white
   spaces anyware in the system? If not, there's no reason we should
   think format() and quote_indent() are exception.

+1

2) What does the SQL standard say? Do they say that non ASCII white
   spaces should be treated as ASCII white spaces?

I am not sure, if SQL standard say some about it. But I am sure, so using unescaped or unclosed UTF8 spaces is bug, dangerous, wrong

Pavel

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii