Re: Why format() adds double quote? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: Why format() adds double quote?
Date
Re: Why format() adds double quote?  ("Daniel Verite" <daniel@manitou-mail.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
>> What do you exactly propose regarding white chars and multibyte chars
>> here? Maybe you propose to consider non ASCII white spaces (treate
>> them as ASCII white spaces)?
>>

> I propose the work with UTF white chars should be same like ASCII white
> chars. The current design is too simple - with possible pretty bad issues.
> Daniel's example is good - there is big gap in design.

I think we should consider followings before going forward:

1) Does PostgreSQL treat non ASCII white spaces same as ASCII white  spaces anyware in the system? If not, there's no
reasonwe should  think format() and quote_indent() are exception.

2) What does the SQL standard say? Do they say that non ASCII white  spaces should be treated as ASCII white spaces?

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan